Greenway Trail System
The Greenway Trail System was first established in 1974. It has evolved into a 54 mile,
3000 acre system that continues to expand. Most of the trails are paved and fairly wide.
Eventually, the plan is to have all trails interconnected.
All of the trails are free to use and enjoy. The trails are shared by walkers, dogs, cyclists, joggers, skaters, children, and others so please be respectful and share the trails.
Here are some Greenway Trail etiquette tips as recommended by the City of Raleigh:
* Share the Trail
* Be Courteous
* Keep Right
* Be Predictable
* Dont Block the Trail
* Pass On the Left
* Give Audible Signal When Passing
* Yield When Entering and Crossing Trails
* Clean Up Litter
* Obey the signs posted on all greenways showing the rules and regulations.
* Consumption of alcoholic beverages is not allowed.
* It is unlawful to possess firearms or other weapons.
* Motorized vehicles are not permitted on the greenways or in non-designated areas.
* Building fires is allowed only in grills.
* It is unlawful to remove, destroy, or damage any plant life or property.
* Pets must be on a leash.
* The owner must remove all waste left by pets.
* It is unlawful to kill, trap, or molest animals or birds.
* Swimming in lakes or streams is not permitted.
* Horses are prohibited on trails unless signed for equestrian use.
* All trail users under the age of 16 are required to wear a safety helmet when using a bike, skates, scooters or any other non-motorized vehicle. Bicyclist, skaters, and skateboarders should approach pedestrians cautiously and slow down when there is limited vision.
* A 10-mph speed limit has been imposed on the greenway trails. Please self-monitor your speed by not exceeding 73 feet in 5 seconds. Use the speed monitoring devices provided.
A large printed Greenway map is available at no charge at various parks. You can download a PDF version, which is also quite large, from the City of Raleigh at this link:
Greenway Trail System Map
For More Information Contact:
Park and Greenway Planner
Parks and Recreation Department
222 West Hargett Street, Suite 608
Raleigh, NC 27602